Thursday, June 11, 2009

Clustering keywords for meaning

After a couple of occasions when Google has totally let me down, I've been thinking about the problem of improving search engines. And particularly about the problem of meaning in a search time.

For example, when you Google the term Ultralight you are presented with, amongst others, ultralight outdoor gear and ultralight aircraft as Google has no idea which you are interested in.

Flickr gets around this problem by clustering results together - compare their ultralight cluster.

Perhaps this is more of a problem with using short, relatively meaning less search terms, something we've been conditioned to do because search engines just don't understand natural language. Yet.

1 comment:

GOPAL said...

3. I just see the post I am so happy the post of information’s So I have really enjoyed and reading your blogs for these posts Any way I all be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon
Click here